Setup VPN in Windows XP
Note: You may need your Windows CD at some point during these
- Create the VPN Connection
- Click on your Start Button and go open up Control Panel.
- If your Control panel looks like this picture please click on
"Switch to Classic View". If not skip this step.
- Open Network Connections
- Then Click on "Create a New Connection"
- This Wizard will appear, click Next to continue.
- Choose "Connect to the network at my place"
- Select "Virtual Private Network connection"
- Type in "UWSP VPN" and click next.
- Select "Do not dial the initial connection" and click Next.
- Type in "vpn.uwsp.edu" for the Host Name.
- Type in UWSP VPN as the Name of the Connection and Choose "Add a
shortcut to my desktop" so you can easily connect.
- Click Finish.
- In the Network and Dial-Up Connections you will see the icon for the
VPN connection Right Click on and and choose "Properties".
- Choose the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) option and then click
- Click on Advanced
- Uncheck the "Use default gateway on remote network" checkbox
- Click OK to close all open dialog boxes.
To Connect to VPN:
Double-click on the VPN shortcut on your desktop.
Enter you UWSP logon ID and password and click OK.
Setup Cached Password
This keeps you from having to enter in your password in when you access
University Resources while you VPN connection is active.
- If you are not running Windows XP Professional skip this step. This
step is for Windows XP Professional Only
- Go to Start and open All Programs, Control Panel
- Open User Accounts
- There are two ways the next screens will look depending on your
configuration. Please follow the one that your looks like.
(This step is for XP Professional Only)
- Click on the Advanced Tab and then Manage Passwords
- Please click on the account.
- Note you must be logged into this account in order to do this.
- Click on Manage Passwords
- Click on Add
- Type in you credentials (Server is uwsp.edu login is uwspdom/your
login and your password).
- Click OK.
- Click OK.