How do I Create a Contact Group (Personal Distribution List) from an Excel
- Create the Excel Spreadsheet
- Save the workbook as an Excel 97-2003 Workbook (from the File menu,
click Save As.., select Excel 97-2003 Workbook from the "Save as type:"
- Click Save
- Close Excel
- Open Outlook
- Select your Contacts folder
- Select the "Folder" tab
- Click on the "New Folder" button
- In the "Create New Folder" dialog box enter a name for the folder in the
- Verify the "Folder contains:" field indicates "Contact Items"
- Click the OK button.
- A new folder is created under your Contacts folder.
- From the Outlook File menu click "Open" and then "Import"
- When the Import and Export Wizard opens, select "Import from another
program or file" and click Next.
- Scroll down the list and select Microsoft Excel 97-2003 and click Next.
- Click the Browse button.
- Navigate to the Excel file to be imported
- Highlight the file to be imported and click the OK button.
- Under the Options section make sure that "Do not import duplicate items"
- Click Next
- Select the second contacts folder that now exists in your mailbox. This
is the folder your data will be imported into.
- Click Next
- Click the "Map Custom Fields..." button
- Follow the instructions noted at the top of dialog box "Drag the values
from the source file on the left, and drop them on the appropriate
destination field on the right. Drag the item from the right to the left to
remove it from the field mapping."
- When all fields have been mapped click the OK button
- Click Finish. The new contacts list now includes the imported data from
the Excel spreadsheet.
- Select the new contact list and click the "New Contact Group" button
under the "Home" tab
- The form to create a new Distribution List opens.
- In the "Name:" field enter a name for the contact group
- Click "Add Members" and then select "From Outlook Contacts"
- Navigate to the upper right corner and click the drop-down arrow.
- Select the name of the second contact list you created above.
- Click to select the first individual who should be in this contact
- Hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and while holding this key,
click the last individual in the list.
- When all the names are highlighted click the "Members" button.
- Click the OK button. This adds the selected members to the distribution
- Click Save and Close