Burning a CD with Windows 7
Note: This document assumes that you are working on a UWSP computer and that your files are stored on your UWSP network storage space (myFiles). If working from home, begin with number 5 below.
Tip: Use a CD-RW (rewritable) - for your own personal use, as you may wish to erase and recreate your CD. Use a CD-R (non-rewritable and less expensive) - for CDs that should not be erased, for example, for distributing a portfolio of your work to potential employers.
Though infrequent, there may also be compatibility issues between CD reading/writing programs
- Click the Start button (lower-left corner of your computer screen).
- Select Computer.
- Double-click "MyFiles.uwsp.edu/yourusername". (your Student Network Storage Space)
- Double-click to open your inetpub or Private folder.
- Locate the files you would like to burn to CD. Copy and paste, or drag your files onto your computer desktop.
Important: Your files should be local, that is, on your computer hard drive. You can delete the files you copied to your desktop once your CD is written.
- Insert your CD-RW or CD-R into the CD Writer.
- Your CD will open the Auto Play window on your screen.
- Select "Burn files to disk"
- The Burn a Disk window will appear and ask how you want to use the disk. Type in the disk title you would like to have, and choose the option " With a CD/DVD player" (this option will work with most computers).
- An explorer window will now pop up on your screen and ask that you drag and drop the files into the folder shown on your screen.
- Once you have placed files into the folder you will receive a bubble notification stating that you have files waiting to be burned. You can ignore this bubble.
- Once you have placed all the files you want to burn on the disk. Choose "Burn to disk from the top menu.
- A burn wizard will now appear on your screen, at this screen you can change the Disk Title and recording speeds if you would like. Click Next.
- Your files will now burn to the disk. You will see a progress bar on your screen.
- You will be asked if you would like to burn these files to another CD. If not choose Finish.