Mailbox Size Information
Student email mailbox accounts have a size limit of 5 GB. Faculty and
staff email mailbox accounts have a size limit of 25 GB. If you reach the
limit you will be automatically restricted from sending email until you
reduce the size of your mailbox. (Mail will continue to be received normally
for your account regardless of the size of your mailbox, so you don't need
to worry about losing any mail addressed to you.)
Determine the size of your mailbox
In Microsoft Outlook Web App
- Hold your cursor over your name at the top of the folder list on the
left hand side. After a few seconds your current total mailbox size will
In Microsoft Office Outlook
- From the Folder List View
- Right-click the folder that says "Your.Username@uwsp.edu"
- Click "Data File Properties.." from the menu.
- Click Folder Size.
- Select the Server Data tab to view the structure and total size of
You can also send a message to the
Postmaster and you will receive an email within 48 hours listing your
mailbox structure and message sizes.
Mailbox Management Tips
- Clean out your Sent Items folder regularly. This folder
contains a copy of every message you send.
- Clean out your Deleted Items folder regularly. When you delete
a message from another mail folder, they are moved to your Deleted Items
folder. You must empty your Deleted Items folder before those messages
no longer count against your storage limit. Quickly empty your
Deleted Items folder by:
- Right-clicking on your Deleted Items folder to display the
- Select "Empty Folder" (in Outlook) or "Empty Deleted Items" (in
Outlook Web App) from the menu.
- Clean out your other mail folders. Regularly go through other mail
folders and perform house-cleaning of unneeded messages by deleting
- Remove attachments from messages you've sent and from messages you've received. Before removing them be sure to first save them to your computer or a network share if necessary.
- Adding the "Size" field to your view may provide some assistance in managing messages that are large in size or contain large attachments. Once added, arrange messages by the size field by:
Consider the following for Additional Storage Space:
- Click "Arrange By" (located above the list of messages)
- Click "Size"
The following website provides some additional tips on mailbox mangement and clean-up that you may benefit from http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/cleanmailbox.htm#mailbox_size.
- Are you a faculty/staff member keeping information for an
office-type account in your personal email? Click here to see the
advantages of keeping this information in a separate email account.
- Are you a student keeping information for a student organization or
student manager account in your personal email? Click here to see the
advantages of keeping this information in your student organization
- Are you regularly sending/receiving messages with attachments more
than 5M in size? Consider putting files larger than 10M in a network
file share -- Contact your College Support Team Member or Help Desk for
assistance. NOTE: Email mailboxes and public folders are not the best
storage place for large files.