Title: Professor Emeritus
Ph.D., Columbia University
M.Phil, Columbia University
M.A Ed, Ball State University
B.A, Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra, Santiage, Dominican Republic
Caribbean and Latin American modern history and culture in general. In
particular race and ethnicity, Caribbean women's history, and Dominican
political and military history.
- Colonizacion y Politica: Los Japoneses y otros immigrantes en la Republica Dominicana (Santo Domingo: Banco de Reservas, Alfa y Omega, 2005).
- The Militarization of Culture in the Dominican Republic, From the Captains General to General Trujillo. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2004.
- Pena y Reynoso y Amantes de la Luz (Santiago: Amantes de la Luz Press, 1985).
- Vision General de la Historia Dominicana with Danilo de los Santos (Santiago: Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra Press, 1978).
- "Change and Globalization: Dominican Women and
Grassroots Organizations" North Central Council of Latin Americanists
Conference, UW-Eau Claire. October 13, 2007.
- "Origins and Impact of Japanese Immigration in the Dominican
Republic." Speech given at the Banco Reservas in Santo Domingo during
the reception for the public presentation of Colonizacion y Politica:
Los japoneses y ostros immigrantes en la Republica Dominicana. November
- "Global Connections." Keynote speech at 12th Commencement at
Tompkins Cortland Community College, Dryden, New York. August 5, 2005.
- "Caribbean Women and Social Protest." The 5th Caribbean Scholars
Association of New York at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, New
York. April 15, 2005.
- "The Tragedy of the Mirabal Sisters and the Origins of the
International Day Against all Violence Towards Women." Poetry and Art
Exhibition: Elimination of All Forms of Violence Against Women at UWSP.
March 3, 2005.
- Guest on STV "Let's Talk About It" a program hosted by Dean Gerry
McKenna and Dr. Susan Brewer. The discussion centered on The
Militarization of Culture in the Dominican Republic, From the Captains
General to General Trujillo. February 21, 2005.
Honors and Awards
||University Scholar Award|
||Contributing editor for the Handbook of Latin American Studies and library's consultant, Hispanic Division, Library of Congres|
||The Eugene Katz Letters and Science Distinguished Faculty Award|
- Associates of America
- Caribbean Studies Association (CSA)
- Latin American Studies Association (LASA)
- North Central Council of Latin Americanists (NCCLA)
- Dominican Academy of Science (DAS)
<< Back to faculty page