The Department of History
Office: CCC 455
Phone: (715) 346-3027
Fax: (715) 346-4489
Ph.D., Washington University, St. Louis
M.A., Washington University, St. LouisB.A., Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York
Great Britain, Ireland, Modern France
FYS 101 - The Band That Changed the World
HIST 176 - United States to 1877
HIST 257 - Europe from 1500 to the Present
HIST 300 - Selected Historical Problems: Sophomore Seminar
HIST 315 - British Empire
HIST 358 - England to the 18th Century
HIST 359 - Modern Britain
HIST 360 - Modern Ireland
HIST 361 - Enlightenment, the French Revolution, and Napoleon
HIST 490 - Selected Historical Problems: Senior Seminar
- Liberalism and Politics: Party, Parliament and Political Culture in Nineteenth Century, edited with William C. Lubenow, Parliamentary History Special Edition, Basil Blackwell, forthcoming 2016.
- Public Life and Public Lives. Essays in Modern British Political and Religious History in Honor of Richard W. Davis, ed., Parliamentary History, Basil Blackwell, Jan. 2008.
- Lives of Victorian Political Figures. By Their Contemporaries, co-editor with Michael Partridge, London: Pickering & Chatto, 2006-2009.
- Series One: Palmerston, Disraeli, Gladstone, ed. Partridge & Gaunt, 2006.
- Series Two: Daniel O’Connell, James Bronterre O’Brien, Michael Davitt, Charles Stewart Parnell, ed. LoPatin-Lummis, Kinealy, King, deNie & Stack, Oct. 2007.
- Series Three: Victoria Regina, Florence Nightingale, Annie Besant, Millicent Garrett Fawcett, ed., LoPatin-Lummis, Walter Arnstein, Deborah Logan, Nancy Fix-Anderson, Susie Steinbach, Nov. 2008.
- Series Four: Walter Bagehot, William Morris and T.H. Green, ed. LoPatin-Lummis, W.H. Hay, Denys Leighton, David Martin, Oct. 2009.
- Political Unions, Popular Politics, and the Great Reform Act of 1832, London: Macmillan and New York: St. Martin’s Press, 1999.
Select Scholarly Articles
- "The Liberal Electoral Agent in the Post-Reform Era," The Journal of Liberal History, vol. 73, Winter, 2011-12.
- “The Reform Club and the Creation of the Liberal Party in Mid-Victorian Britain” in Liberalism and Politics: Party, Parliament and Political Culture in Nineteenth Century, edited with William C. Lubenow, Parliamentary History Special Edition, Basil Blackwell, forthcoming.
- “The 1832 Reform Act Debate: Should the Suffrage be based on Property or Taxpaying?”Journal of British Studies, vol. 46, no.2, April 2007.
- “Joseph Parkes, Electioneering and Corruption in Post-Reform Bill Elections”, in press, Proceedings: The Consortium on Revolutionary Europe 1750-1850, Selected Papers, 2006, ed. Frederick C. Schneid and Denise Davidson, High Point University, 2006.
- “Refining the Limits of Political Reporting: The Provincial Press, Political Unions and the Great Reform Act of 1832”, Victorian Periodicals Review, Winter, 1999.
- “Ritual, Symbolism and Radical Reform: Political Unions and Political Identity in the Age of Parliamentary Reform”, Journal of Victorian Culture, 3.1, Spring 1998.
- “Wellington and Political Unions, Misinformation and the Reform Act of 1832”, Select Papers from the Second International Wellington Congress, July 1998, Southampton, University of Southampton Press, 1999.
- "Public Disorder and Parliamentary Reform: Rioting and the Reform Act of 1832", in Select Papers from the Consortium on Revolutionary Europe, 24, Tallahassee, Florida State University Press, 1995.
- “Popular Politics in the Midlands: The Coventry Political Union and the Great Reform Act". Midland History, XX, 1995.
- "Political Unions and the Great Reform Act of 1832", Parliamentary History, Volume 10, Part I, 1991.
Encyclopedia Articles In
- International Encyclopedia of World Protest and Revolution
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Encyclopedia of Europe 1789-1914
- Grolier Encyclopedia of the Victorian Era
- Readers Guide to British History
- Makers of Western Culture, 1800-1914
Book Reviews In
- Journal of British Studies
- American Historical Review
- Journal of Modern History
- Journal of Social History
- Parliamentary History
- The Historian
- Victorian Studies
- Journal of Victorian Culture
- Victorian Periodicals Review
- History: Review of New Books
- Reviews in History by the Institute for Historical Research
Recent Honors and Awards
- University Service Award, 2012
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point University Professional
Development Research Grant. (2009, 2008, 2007, 1996, 1993, 1992, 1991,
- College of Letters & Science Faculty and Program Development
Grant, 2009 for “The Reform Club and the Development of the Victorian
- College of Letters & Science Enhancement Grant, 2007, for International Studies Students Social and Career Night.
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point University Publishing Fund, 2006.
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point University Sabbatical, 2005; 1995-96
- Distinguished Achievement Award, Junior Faculty, Academy of Letters and Sciences, 1998.
- Visiting Scholar in History, Dartmouth College, 1995-96
- Midwest Conference on British Studies (MWCBS)
- American Friends of the Institute for Historical Research, University of London (IHR)
- Phi Beta Kappa (ΦΒΚ)
- Phi Alpha Theta (ΦΑΘ)
- North American Conference on British Studies (NACBS)
Politics and Religion in Modern British History: Essays in Honour of Richard W. Davis
Edited by Nancy LoPatin-Lummis, Ph.D.
Buy This Book
Political Unions, Popular Politics and the Great Reform Act of 1832
Palgrave Macmillan, 1999.
By Nancy LoPatin-Lummis, Ph.D.
<< Back to faculty page