Department Chair and Associate Professor
Office: CCC 477B
Phone: (715) 346-4478
Fax: (715) 346-4489
Ph.D., US History, Florida State University
M.A., American Studies, Florida State University
B.A., History, University of the South
Race and Ethnicity in the United States; the American South
HIST 176 - United States to 1877
HIST 177 - United States since 1877
HIST 288 - Racial and Ethnic Groups in the United States
HIST 289 - African American History to 1877
HIST 290 - African American History since 1877
HIST 310 - Slavery in the Americas
HIST 388 - The Civil War Era
HIST 395 - Age of Jackson
HIST 395 - Alcohol and Drugs in the United States
HIST 489 - The Black Atlantic
- Southern Prohibition: Race, Reform, and Public Life in Middle Florida, 1821-1920 (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 2011).
- "Creating a Lost Cause: Prohibition and Confederate Memory in Apalachicola, Florida" in Southern Studies 12 (Vol. 3-4, 2005): 55-74.
- "Secession Sanctified: Bishop Francis Huger Rutledge and the coming of the Civil War in Florida" in Florida Historical Quarterly 82 (vol. 4, 2004) 421-437.
- Book reviews for Church History, Journal of American Ethnic History; Journal of Southern History; Michigan Historical Review, H-South, H-CivWar, and H-Florida.
Works in Progress
- "The Clandestine Slave Trade in the Gulf South, 1808-1861"
Honors and Awards
- UW- System Fellow. University of Wisconsin Institute for Research in the Humanities, University of Wisconsin- Madison, 2011-2012.
- University Teaching Award, UW- Stevens Point. 2010-2011.
- Edward C. and Marie H. Kingsbury Fellowship, 2005-2006
- American Historical Association (AHA)
- Southern Historical Association (SHA)
- Society of Historians of the Early American Republic (SHEAR)
- Florida Historical Society (FHS)
<< Back to faculty page