Les Werner, Ph.D.
Phone: (715) 346-4935
Fax: (715) 346-3624
Office: TNR 374
- Doctoral Program (Ph.D.) – Department of Horticulture, University of Wisconsin–Madison. 2008
- Master’s Program (M.S.) – College of Natural Resources, University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point. 2001
- Bachelor’s Program (B.S.) – Urban Forestry, College of Natural Resources, University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point. 1981
- Wisconsin Arborist Association
- Urban Forestry Advisory Council, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
- International Society of Arboriculture
- Forestry 331/531: Landscape Maintenance/Arboriculture
- Forestry 431/631: Functional Tree Biology
- Soils 361/561: Forest Soils
- NRES 151: Ecological Basis for Resource Management
- Forestry 395: Introduction to Tree Care Techniques
- Forestry 396: Science of Tree Felling
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Service Award, Wisconsin Arborist Association, 1997
- Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Natural Resources: 2006, 2012
- Professional Service Award, College of Natural Resources 2009
- Scholarship Award, College of Natural Resources 2015
- Tree biology
- Nutrient demand by trees
- Tree fertilization
- Nutrient cycling
Intasen, M., R. Hauer., L. P. Werner, and E. Larsen. 2017. Urban Forest Assessment in Bangkok, Thailand. Journal of Sustainable Forestry. 36(2): 148-163.
Turnquist, K. N., L.P. Werner, B.L. Sloss. 2016. An examination of soil microbial communities and litter decomposition in five urban land-uses in metropolitan Milwaukee, WI. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry, 42: 58-69.
Miller, R.W., R.H. Hauer, L.P. Werner, 2015. Urban Forestry: Planning and Managing Urban Greenspaces. 3rd Edition. Waveland Press. Release Date: March 2015.
Smiley, T. L.P. Werner, S. Lilly. 2013. Best Management Practices for Tree and Shrub Fertilization. 3rd Edition. International Society of Arboriculture.
Werner, L.P. and L.G. Jull. 2013. Fertilizer uptake and partitioning in young and mature common hackberry (Celtis occidentalis) trees. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry 39(2): 85-93.
Werner,L.P. 2010. Tree Nutrition and Fertilization: Practical Considerations, Part 1. Arborist News. April. Invited Paper.
Werner, L.P. 2010. Tree Nutrition and Fertilization: Practical Considerations, Part 2. Arborist News. Invited Paper.