What’s the single most important factor influencing most prospective students’ decision to accept admission to a university? The appearance of the campus, according to a recent survey by the Carnegie Foundation.
That’s one reason why the work of the Academic Custodial staff is so important—it helps the University gain and retain students. With responsibility for cleaning more than 1.6 million square feet in more than 18 buildings on the UWSP campus every day, we have a tremendous responsibility in maintaining and supporting the campus environment.
Our goal is to provide cleaning services in a cost effective, efficient, and environmentally sound manner. We work hard to maintain a clean, safe, comfortable atmosphere so that students and other building occupants have the best possible environment in which to safely learn and work.
- 3m cleaning system to standardize our custodial cleaning operation
- a new training program for new employees
- a weekend custodial crew made up of students and LTE's to give us 7-day a week coverage for events on campus
Currently Working On:
- a 10-year replacement plan for our cleaning equipment
- future plans to implement a team cleaning concept in our operation
Custodial Services Roles
Academic Custodial Services has three main roles:
- to provide the best cleaning services possible within the resources provided
- event set-up and services for campus-related events, and
- non-routine services such as furniture moving and snow removal.
We view each member of the campus community as a colleague who is accountable for his or her own work and his or her assigned area of responsibility. We make every attempt to respect privacy and professional boundaries. We also acknowledge that each of our campus facilities is different—structurally, of course, but also in the character created by the students, faculty, staff, and programs unique to each. All are vital components of the mix that characterizes each building and its needs.
We conduct our business as professionals who are always striving to improve our methods, approaches, and services. We have a challenging job, and using our equipment and chemicals safely and effectively requires a great deal of training and specialized knowledge.
For emergency services during business hours (Monday-Friday 7:00 am to 4:00 pm), call Facility Services at 715-346-4219. For after-hours emergencies, call 346-3456.