The Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Department operates and maintains all of the HVAC systems throughout our academic and administrative buildings and the Centers. We also provide backup services to the residence halls. The department is comprised of four full-time employees: two Controls Specialists, one Steamfitter/Refrigeration Specialist, and one Maintenance Mechanic.
Our department schedules, monitors, controls, and maintains all of the equipment necessary to heat, cool, and ventilate campus buildings. Much of the monitoring and scheduling is done through a computerized facilities management system. Besides managing and monitoring energy consumption, this system allows us to view the operation of the campus systems and to spot and correct abnormal conditions before they become major problems.
Some of the specific items that we maintain are:
- Pneumatic, electronic and steam controls
- Fans for general building ventilation, exhaust systems, and fume hoods
- Cooling and heating coils
- Specialty cooling equipment
- Central chillers and cooling towers
- Window air conditioners
- Steam operated equipment
- Food service refrigerators and freezers
- Laboratory environmental chambers and chillers
- Heating and cooling pumps
- The HVAC department provides engineering design, installation, and remodeling service for any of the above type of equipment and systems.
- The HVAC department maintains the mechanical equipment and the chemical treatment of the swimming pool and the adaptive pool.