TO: FACULTY/ACADEMIC STAFF
FROM: TODD HUSPENI, CHAIR, ACADEMIC AFFAIRS COMMITTEE
DATE: JANUARY 24, 2013
RE: CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR THE STUDENT CREDIT HOURS SUBCOMMITTEE
Faculty Senate approved formation of a Student Credit Hours (SCH) Subcommittee to address faculty SCH guidelines for tenure management.
The constitution of the SCH Subcommittee will be as follows:
Modes of instruction that will be represented on the SCH Subcommittee include,
1. Writing intensive,
2. Large lecture,
3. Pre-professional supervision/placement,
5. Science Laboratories,
7. Seminar/small class
Additionally, a student representative will be appointed by the Student Government Association. Each college will have at least one representative.
The composition of the subcommittee was determined by the Academic Affairs Committee in consultation with the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate.
The charge to the SCH Subcommittee will refer back to a charge given to the SCH Guidelines Subcommittee dated November 1, 1992. The SCH Subcommittee will be asked to review the present policy for defining, assigning, and implementing undergraduate student credit our guidelines. The review should include, but not necessarily be limited to, a study of the following questions in no particular order:
1) Are the present SCH guidelines generally compatible with staffing and student populations at UW-Stevens Point?
2) Are the present SCH guidelines compatible with the current expectations for faculty regarding teaching, scholarly activity, and university/community service?
3) Are the present SCH guidelines reasonable and attainable?
4) Are there new modes of instruction that are currently not included in the present SCH guidelines?
5) Has there been a change in the mix of instructional modes (both university-wide and within colleges and departments) that necessitates modification of existing SCH guidelines?
6) Are there inequities in SCH guidelines among colleges/departments that necessitate modification of existing SCH guidelines?
7) Can any modifications in SCH guidelines be accommodated within present and anticipated future faculty positions available at UW-Stevens Point and expectations of faculty?
8) Should SCH guidelines be eliminated entirely and staffing done by units under the principles of unit budgeting?
Please have the nomination form completed and returned to arrive in the Faculty Senate Office (Room 118 Old Main or PDF format to email@example.com), by Wednesday, February 13, 2013. Self-nominations will be accepted. The Academic Affairs Committee will determine the SCH Subcommittee membership from among the pool of nominees. Recommendation of membership will be forwarded to the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate for final confirmation. Thank you.