Office: CPS 449
- 1985, Ph.D. Department of Curriculum and Instruction, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas. Major: Reading; Minor: Psychology
- 1980, M.S. Department of Curriculum and Instruction, Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg, Kansas
- 1974, B.S. Department of Curriculum and Instruction, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas. Major: English
- Content Area Literacy Instruction
- Administration of Literacy Programs
- Wisdom and Compassion in Education
- Reading in the Secondary School
- Reading and Writing for Content Understanding
- Remedial Reading
- Teacher Action Research in Reading
- Supervision and Administration of Reading Programs
- Special Topics: Cultivating Compassionate Schools; Wisdom-Centered Leadership
Publications and Presentations
Ylimaki, Rose M. & McClain, Leslie (2006) Instructional leadership and U.S. accountability policies. In R. Openshaw & J. Soler (Eds) Reading across international boundaries: History, policy, and politics. Grenenwich, CT: Information Age Publ.
Ylimaki, R. & McClain, L. (2009) Wisdom-Centered Educational Leadership (with R.Ylimaki) International Journal of Leadership in Education, 12(1) 13-33.
McClain, L. & Xiong, K. (2005) Continuing the promise: Recruiting and preparing Hmong-American Educators for Central Wisconsin (2005). Hmong Studies Journal, 6, 208-223.
Ylimaki, R. & McClain, L. (2005) Instructional Leadership at the Crossroads: Unintended Outcomes of Current Reading Policies. The Journal of Leadership and Policy in Schools, 4 (4) 261-280.
Wisdom and Compassion of the Democratic Leader: Perceptions of the Bodhisattva Ideal in Theory and Practice (with R.Ylimaki & M. Ford), European Conference on Educational Research, Vienna, Austria. Fall, 2009.
Instructional Leadership and High Stakes Accountability. European Conference on Educational Research (with R. Ylimaki), Dublin, Ireland. Fall 2005.
Cherishing the Heart of Education: Cultivating Wisdom and Compassion in Schooling Culture. Schooling Tibetan Children Multi-Nationally: A Window into the Global Culture for Education , University of California-Irvine, Irvine, CA (invited paper). May 2009.
Wisdom and Compassion of the Democratic Leader: Perceptions of the Bodhisattva Ideal. (with R. Ylimaki & M. Ford). University Council for Educational Administration. November 2008.
Wisdom-Centered Leadership in Education: Practices of the Bodhisattva Leader. University Council for Educational Administration. November 2007.