Emergency License/Permits

If you have been hired by a district and are not licensed in that subject or developmental range, you will need to apply online for or renew emergency licenses and permits (including long-term substitutes). DPI indicates that these are licenses which are requested by an employing school district after a search for a fully-licensed candidate was conducted and was unsuccessful. For more information, go to: http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/elo.


​District-requested Emergency License for Teachers or Pupil Services Professionals
(For educators who already hold a teacher or pupil service license in another area.)

NOTE: DPI's online application requires UW-Stevens Point's "EPP Code" which is 1919

First-time emergency license

Emergency license renewal
District-requested Emergency Permit for Teachers or Pupil Services Professionals
(For individuals who hold a bachelor's degree.)
​First-time emergency permit

Emergency permit renewal


  1. Print off the appropriate license
  2. Follow the directions and complete form.
  3. Attain school district verifications/signatures needed.
    1. Please do not send renewal forms to institutions until grades for required courses are posted.  If you took courses through another institution, include a copy of that transcript with the appropriate forms.
    2. Make sure to include your name, email, contact address and phone numbers in case there is a question.
  4. For Emergency License or Emergency Permit, forward to appropriate institution:
    1. For first time emergency license request, you will not need a university signature.
    2. For renewals, send PI16012-EL Page 2 to the institution where you are pursuing the new license. They will sign and return to you so you can upload when you apply online for your license renewal.  
    3. UWSP requests send to:
      Email: Field.Experiences@uwsp.edu 
      Mailing Address: Office of Field Experiences, School of Education, College of Professional Studies, UW-Stevens Point, Stevens Point, WI 54481. 
      • If using email, we suggest whiting out any SS# listed on documentation you are submitting as it can be stolen as it is being sent. 
      • You must include your UWSP ID#. If you do not know it, please call 715-346-2040 and ask for assistance.  
      • All requests should include your mailing address and phone number.
  5. Once you receive the approved PI16012-EL Page 2 from your attending institution, go online to apply for your license: http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/elo.


  • Emergency license renewals require the completion of 6 required credits towards the new license program completed by the start of the renewal year. Grades must be posted prior to sending the paperwork. 
  • If for any reason you are not able to complete the 6 required credits that are required for the additional license, DPI may or may not extend your renewal. They will expect a letter from you explaining why you did not meet this requirement and will want to know your term-by-term plan as to how you plan to complete the program, including coursework, assessments and semester/term you plan on completing each. Feel Free to use our sample letter. DPI will expect you to make up any missing credits the following year in order to approve future renewals. Example, 3 required credits taken the first year; 9 required credits or completion of the program will be needed the following year. The certification officer at the institution is only able to sign renewal license requests if the 6 required credits are completed. However we may be able provide you with a letter of verification that the plan in your letter is possible. Please contact Maggie Beeber if you would like this verification. DPI has the right to deny emergency license renewals if this requirement is not met.


Maggie Beeber, Certification Officer


Teacher License Home
Teacher Licensing FAQ
First License Application FAQ
Add-on Certifications Offered
Add-on Application Process
Emergency License/Permits