Step 1: Read the "Undergraduate Student Handbook"
section of our website carefully.
- Pay special attention to the following sections:
- Student Completion Requirements
- Choosing a Major/Minor
- Professional Education Program Application Requirements & Application Requirements
- Curriculum Planning Sheets
Step 2: Obtain a Credit Evaluation from the School of Education Advising, Recruitment & Retention Office.
- Send the following
- unofficial copies of transcripts from every university, college or technical school you have attended (individual transcripts actually printed from the school attended),
- a list of courses you are currently taking, and
- a letter stating your name, address, email address, phone number, and teaching major/minor you wish to pursue.
- Send the above information all in one email, fax, or envelop to the following address:
Advising, Recruitment & Retention Office
School of Education
College of Professional Studies
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
Stevens Point, WI 54481
- Within 2 weeks of receiving your materials the School of Education Advising, Recruitment & Retention Office will e-mail you the following information:
- The School of Education Credit Evaluation
- A Curriculum Planning Sheet indicating the courses you have completed
- Application materials to the Professional Education Program
- We will then forward your request to any teaching major or minor you have listed that is not housed in the School of Education. Their response will be sent under separate cover.
- After reviewing these materials, you are strongly encouraged to schedule a meeting with a School of Education Advisor to discuss the credit evaluation results. Please call for an appointment, 715-346-2040. Due to the complicated nature of Wisconsin Teacher Certification, students interested in transferring or re-entering MUST complete a credit evaluation BEFORE seeing an Education Advisor.
Step 3: Apply to UW-Stevens Point through the Office of Admissions. Our advising staff recommends applying to UWSP two semesters prior to beginning coursework at UWSP.
- After being accepted to UWSP, we recommend sending official transcripts to UWSP Office of Admissions after each term completed to guarantee the earliest registration time possible.
NOTE: In order to meet Professional Education Program application requirements, we recommend completing the Praxis I test prior to completing 24 credits. We also recommend completing UWSP Communication 101 or Education 205 (or another campus's equivalent) during your first year.
SPECIAL NOTES ON TRANSFERRING AND REENTRY:
UW-College and Wisconsin Technical College Students
In addition to the directions above, students have access to program guides through the Transfer Information System (TIS). These guides provide planning sheets with course equivalencies for the two-year colleges.
- UW-Colleges: Transfer Guides are available for all UWSP education programs.
- Nicolet College: Transfer Guides are available for all UWSP education programs.
- WI Technical Colleges: Transfer Guides are available for the Early Childhood Education Program.
Admission to the Professional Education Program
Transfer and re-entry students meeting PEP Admission Requirements are strongly encouraged to apply to the Professional Education Program PRIOR to transferring.
- Students who have been admitted to UWSP and have paid the required deposit will be invited by the Office of Admissions to attend a transfer orientation. These orientations begin in April for fall admission and November for spring admission. Students are strongly encouraged to apply, pay the deposit and attend the earliest Orientation session possible.
- At Transfer Orientation, students majoring in Early Childhood, Elementary, and Special Education will be advised by a School of Education advisor. All other majors will be advised by an advisor in the department of their major and will be required to meet with a School of Education advisor at their earliest convenience.
Re-entry Student Registration
- Students who have already attended UWSP and are re-applying are encouraged to apply early (October-February for fall admission or March-October for spring admission).
- Students who have been admitted to UWSP and have paid the required deposit will be invited to meet with an advisor in their major and register at the same time as current UWSP students. Students who re-apply and are admitted late will be required to attend a late Transfer Orientation session.
- Students majoring in Early Childhood, Elementary, and Special Education will be advised by a School of Education advisor. All other majors will be advised by an advisor in the department of their major and will be required to meet with a School of Education advisor at their earliest convenience.