Early Childhood Special Education
To receive certification, fulfill these requirements:
- Professional preparation: Completed a bachelor's degree in early childhood education, special education, or elementary education, including these required courses: Early Childhood Ed 364 or equivalent; Education 398; and Psychology 260 or HD 261.
- General exceptional education: Complete Education 551 and 778.
- Area of specialization: Complete Education 565, 566, 567, 781.
- A Portfolio with all assignments from the classes needed for your add-on license is required with your add-on license application.
- Praxis II Content Tests are required by the state of Wisconsin to receive add-on certification as of August 1, 2004. If the test is taken after June 12, 2004, the score must be passing. ECSE add-on certification requires ETS Praxis II Test # 0014 (www.ets.org)
NOTE: If you are certified in related service fields such as physical therapy, speech/language pathology with a master’s degree, etc., but do not have a prior degree with certification in education, you can pursue an emphasis in early childhood special education in order to augment your skills in working with this population. This avenue will NOT lead to teacher certification unless you elect to take the courses, which lead to that certification.
How to Apply
You do not need to apply to UW-Stevens Point for acceptance into this program. There is no fee for requesting or receiving a certification outline.
Please send the following information:
- Request for a transcript analysis - please include that you wish to pursue ECSE certification
- Copies of Transcripts (student copies are okay)
- Copy of current Teaching License
- Your current mailing address
- Your email address
Dr. Patricia Caro
School of Education, CPS 438
Graduate Advising Office
Stevens Point, WI 54481
What our students are saying:
- "I love the informal atmosphere!"
- "It's worth it to drive 4.5 hours to learn from everyone and Patty."