The School of Physical Education &
Athletic Training has approved the following policies in response to the
mandated Enrollment Caps in the Professional Education Program.
- Since our numbers are limited to only a certain number of slots per academic year (20), applicants will be evaluated on the submitted documents.
- Applications to the Professional Education Program are due September
22 and February 22 for initial screening. If the deadline falls on a
weekend, application materials will be due the Friday prior to the
deadline. Physical Education applicants must have met the following
requirements prior to applying to the Program:
- an overall GPA (includes all institutions attended) of 2.75,
- a major GPA (includes Bio 285) of 2.75,
- the following courses must be completed - PE 105, 150, 200, 201,
220, 260 (completed or enrolled), 271, Biol 160, Chem or Phys 101 and
(No conditionals will be considered)
- Applicants must submit the following documents to the Director of Physical Education by the School of Education deadline:
- Resume (include anticipated date of student teaching)
- Statement of strengths and weaknesses as to the WTS
- List of completed coursework with grades and GPA from all
institutions - You must turn in your latest unofficial transcript from
UWSP! Go to any campus computer lab and get a CURRENT print out of your
degree progress report.
- Two letters of recommendation from outside the teaching staff (PEAT)
- Prior to applying, all physical education majors applying to the
Professional Education Program will take the Pre-Professional Interview
(15-30 minutes). See personal in the School of Education Advising
Office, 469 CPS, to register for this Interview, which is offered during
the regular semesters and some dates in June. Take this interview the
semester before applying to the Program. Teaching dispositions will be
assessed in pre-SOE
- Teaching dispositions will be assessed in pre-SOE courses by the PE faculty.
- A committee of physical education staff members will evaluate
candidates on the preceding materials. The committee will examine the
documents and rank order the candidates. The top ranks will be admitted.
- Applicants must meet the new requirements for freshman and sophomore level as outlined in the UWSP catalog.
- The Physical Education Committee will make final decisions. The committee will decide how many applicants to accept.
- A student may appeal the decision of the committee. If the committee
is in agreement with the student, the student will be guaranteed a slot
in the following semester. (Students will also be expected to meet the
appeal deadline noted in the Professional Education Program guidelines.)
- Students may apply to the School of PEAT during two different semesters.
Applicants must meet the minimum requirements for admission to the
Professional Education Program as set by the School of Education.