Mission and Vision
- Taught more than 100 students planning carreers and aquaculture/aquaponic businesses in WI.
- Developed Arctic Char markets with Aquaterra of Bristol, WI.
- Produced Yellow Perch with Coolwater Farms of Cambridge, WI
- Built a commercial market for Walleye with Northside Enterprises of Black Creek, Wis.
- Recieved $390,000 in federal funding to establish UW-Extension Aquaculture Outreach Program
- Created more than 45 aquaculture jobs in WI
- Received a $225,000 grant from the federal Sea Grant College Program to develop workdorce education and training for environmentally and economically sustainable Great Lakes auaculture
Our mission for the UWSP-Northern Aquaculture Demonstration Facility is to promote public education and advance the discovery, dissemination and application of knowledge for sustainable aquaculture in a northern climate.
Our vision for the facility is a center that shall be
recognized for promoting sustainable aquaculture among the public, private and
tribal sectors through technology transfer, applied research, demonstration and
Wisconsin's highly diversified aquaculture industry has over 2,300 registered commercial fish farms, 14 state hatcheries, 2 federal hatcheries and all the resources needed to accommodate significant expansion. This facility will serve as an incubator for new aquaculture practices;
providing students and faculty resources for the development of life-long
The facility is the northern-most campus of the University of Wisconsin-Steven's Point. The University's College of Letters and Science directs the facility in collaboration with various partners based on projects and program goals. Some of our partners include:
- Wisconsin's Aquaculture Industry
- Wisconsin Sea Grant and North Central-Region Aquaculture Center
- Federal, Tribal & State Fish Hatcheries/Natural Resource Agencies
- Private aquaculture Entrepreneurs
- Wisconsin Public Schools (K-12) & Community Organizations
- University of Wisconsin-Extension
- Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection