Frequently Asked Questions

What should my written project look like?
The written report will differ in appearance from project to project and advisor to advisor. Your advisor may suggest that you look at already-completed projects as examples. There are copies of past students projects available for review in the EE Resources Library on the 4th floor of the UWSP Learning Resources Center (LRC). May projects can also be accessed electronically from the LRC.
What needs to be done in the year I graduate?
Keep your advisor informed of your progress, as s/he must sign off on your project before you’re allowed to graduate. Let him/her know of your desired graduation date. For a summer graduation, it’s important that you and your advisor communicate during the preceding spring semester. See the graduate catalog for graduation deadlines. If everything is set to go with your project the final step is to fill out the UWSP Application for Master’s Degree which you can request from your EE Outreach team.
Where can I find information on courses that could transfer into the program?
Once you are assigned an advisor you will want to meet with them to begin discussing your Program of Study. This is where you would want to talk with them about any courses that you’ve already taken that you think might fit into the program. You are able to transfer in up to 9 credits (courses taken previously at UWSP are not considered transfer courses).
You will need to provide the following documentation and fill out the Application for Transfer Credits form on courses you are interested in transferring in:
  • Photocopy of catalog course description
  • Course syllabus (if available)
  • Verification that the course is a graduate course (official graduate transcript)
  • Verification that the course is applicable to the graduate program at the institution offering the course.
How do I know if a course will or won't transfer into my program?
You should check on the course with your advisor.
What do I do if a course that I need isn't offered?
Talk with your advisor or Tim Byers to see if there is an alternate course that would work for you or to see when the course you need will come around again.
What is Plan A?
Plan A is the traditional on-campus 2-year graduate degree program with a thesis requirement.
Where am I going to live while I am taking courses in Stevens Point (only for Face-to-Face summer K-12 Teacher classes)?
There are various options, including the UWSP dorms and local hotels. Among the other students taking summer classes in the Extended Masters in EE Program, you are likely to find roommates to reduce the cost of a hotel stay. Students have also camped at some of the local campgrounds near to town. Talk to the EE Outreach team for more options.
How do I know when courses will be offered?
Specific courses are offered every semester, every other semester, or sometimes once every couple of semesters. A few months before the next semester is to begin we will send out, via email, the next semesters course schedule. It will also be posted on the Course Information page on this website. If you are interested in knowing when a particular course will be offered, check in with Tim Byers.
How long does the program typically take?
The average is about 3 years. Some have finished their degree in less than 3 years. Though this is possible, it requires a much more significant weekly time commitment than the 3 year option.