The Wisconsin K-12 Forestry Education Program (LEAF) was created to promote forestry education in Wisconsin. LEAF is a partnership between the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources – Division of Forestry and the Wisconsin Center for Environmental Education. The WCEE launched this effort in 2001.
LEAF’s mission is to integrate learning in and about Wisconsin's forests into K-12 schools to provide the knowledge, skills and ways of thinking necessary to sustain our forests and communities. Outcomes are the long-term impacts the program strives for.
LEAF works to fully integrate its and its partners' services and resources to provide a comprehensive and holistic approach to forestry education.
LEAF Core Values
- Humans are dependent upon and connected to earth's systems;
- Forests are life support systems for life on earth;
- WI forests can be managed sustainably for economic, ecologic and social benefits;
- Forestry education is integral to K-12 learning, across all grades and subject areas;
- Healthy communities are dependent upon informed and engaged citizens.
- Instill a strong sense of place and connection to human and natural communities;
- Inspire a sense of appreciation, awe and respect for forests and other ecosystems;
- Increase teachers' and students' forest literacy;
- Develop an understanding of forest management decisions, principles, issues and opportunities;
- Encourage individual and community action in sustaining forests.
- Professional development for educators
- The Wisconsin K-12 Forestry Lesson Guide
- Distribution of materials from the existing forestry education community
- School forest services and consulting
- Networking opportunities for educators
- Events and materials for students
- Support for resource professionals, landowners, and non-formal educators to serve as resources for K-12 classrooms
Forestry Education Specialists within the WCEE are available to assist educators/schools in identifying how forestry education fits into their curriculum and culture. Learn more about LEAF and forestry education opportunities: