CWES is a 200-acre teaching and learning center located 17 miles east of Stevens Point on glacial Sunset Lake. Since 1975, we have been an integral part of the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point College of Natural Resources program and is staffed with professional natural resource and environmental educators.
Our mission is to foster in adults and youth the appreciation, understanding, skill development, and motivation needed to help them build a sustainable balance between environment, economy, and community.
We accomplish this mission by:
- Training and mentoring University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point undergraduate and graduate students in environmental education in an effort to develop the most skilled and sensitive professionals possible.
- Providing innovative environmental education experiences based on ecological principles, integrated natural resource management philosophies, balanced perspectives, and inquiry-based methodologies.
- Offering outdoor opportunities to recreate, rejuvenate and build strong personal connections to the waters, woods, wildlife, and each other.
- Demonstrating sustainable designs and practices based on current research and technology.
- Promoting this leadership model, in cooperation with the UW-Stevens Point College of Natural Resources.
Some of our natural learning sites and opportunities include:
- Fully equipped waterfront on clear Sunset Lake with a swim area, pontoon boats, canoes, kayaks, paddle boats and equipment for water study and fishing.
- Challenge/Teams Course with 14 stations and environmental concept ties. Staff to facilitate team-building process are all safety-trained on the course.
Ponds and beaver sloughs for aquatic ecology/pond studies.
- Ice Age Trail access just down the road. Miles of hiking that feature our glacial heritage.
- Overnight primitive campsite at Severson Lake reached by backpacking.
- Web of Life trail and other trail networks.
- Iola Ski Hill just four miles away with cross-country and ski-jumping opportunities. Snowshoe rental is available at CWES.
- Pine plantation as well as mixed forests where we do forestry education programs.
- Map and compass training. Orienteering courses.
- Volleyball/games areas and archery range.
- Firebowl along the shore of Sunset Lake. An amphitheatre that comes alive at night!
Stay with us
Choose from beautiful eight-person log cabins, a 24-person lodge, or a dormitory lodge that sleeps 48.
Cafeteria-style food service is available. You'll love the meals our cooks prepare with vegetarian alternatives available. All meals are served in Sunset Lodge.
Premiere on the health and safety front
The Central Wisconsin Environmental Station is licensed by the State of Wisconsin to operate as a residential camp, satisfying state and county public health and safety requirements.
Pets at CWES
While many of our staff have pets and we appreciate the relationship between a pet and its owner, we do not allow pets at CWES.If you are visiting CWES for a day, an overnight, or even to simply drop off or pick up your child for summer camp, please make other arrangements for your pet while you are at CWES.
We're shaping the future through environmental education!
We're open all year. Call (715) 824-2428 for more information, prices, and reservations. We suggest making plans for workshops and field trips well in advance of your requested dates since we fill quickly.
We hope you'll come see why so many others are building a brighter future with us!
Links to other UWSP sites: