CWES is a 200-acre teaching and learning center located 17 miles
east of Stevens Point on glacial Sunset Lake. Since 1975, we have been
an integral part of the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point College
of Natural Resources program and is staffed with professional natural
resource and environmental educators.
Our mission is to foster in
adults and youth the appreciation, understanding, skill development, and
motivation needed to help them build a sustainable balance between
environment, economy, and community.
We accomplish this mission by:
- Training and mentoring University of
Wisconsin-Stevens Point undergraduate and graduate students in
environmental education in an effort to develop the most skilled and
sensitive professionals possible.
- Providing innovative environmental education
experiences based on ecological principles, integrated natural resource
management philosophies, balanced perspectives, and inquiry-based
- Offering outdoor opportunities to recreate,
rejuvenate and build strong personal connections to the waters, woods,
wildlife, and each other.
- Demonstrating sustainable designs and practices based on current research and technology.
- Promoting this leadership model, in cooperation with the UW-Stevens Point College of Natural Resources.
Some of our natural learning sites and opportunities include:
- Fully equipped waterfront on clear Sunset Lake with a swim area,
pontoon boats, canoes, kayaks, paddle boats and equipment for water
study and fishing.
- Challenge/Teams Course with 14 stations and environmental concept
ties. Staff to facilitate team-building process are all safety-trained
on the course.
Ponds and beaver sloughs for aquatic ecology/pond studies.
- Ice Age Trail access just down the road. Miles of hiking that feature our glacial heritage.
- Overnight primitive campsite at Severson Lake reached by backpacking.
- Web of Life trail and other trail networks.
- Iola Ski Hill just four miles away with cross-country and ski-jumping opportunities. Snowshoe rental is available at CWES.
- Pine plantation as well as mixed forests where we do forestry education programs.
- Map and compass training. Orienteering courses.
- Volleyball/games areas and archery range.
- Firebowl along the shore of Sunset Lake. An amphitheatre that comes alive at night!
Stay with us
Choose from beautiful eight-person log cabins, a 24-person lodge, or a dormitory lodge that sleeps 48.
Cafeteria-style food service is available.
You'll love the meals our cooks prepare with vegetarian alternatives
available. All meals are served in Sunset Lodge.
Premiere on the health and safety front
The Central Wisconsin Environmental Station
is licensed by the State of Wisconsin to operate as a residential camp,
satisfying state and county public health and safety requirements.
Pets at CWES
While many of our staff have pets and we
appreciate the relationship between a pet and its owner, we do not allow
pets at CWES.If you are visiting CWES for a day, an overnight, or even
to simply drop off or pick up your child for summer camp, please make
other arrangements for your pet while you are at CWES.
We're shaping the future through environmental education!
We're open all year. Call (715) 824-2428
for more information, prices, and reservations. We suggest making plans
for workshops and field trips well in advance of your requested dates
since we fill quickly.
We hope you'll come see why so many others are building a brighter future with us!